Halloween is a fun and tasty time for people, but many things associated with the holiday can put our pets’ health at risk. Here are a few important tips to make sure your pets stay healthy and happy:

• Chocolate and xylitol (a sweetener often found in peanut butter and chewing gum) are extremely toxic to pets. Chocolate can cause upset stomachs, heart arrhythmia, kidney failure and seizures. Xylitol can bring on hypoglycemia, seizures, liver failure and even death if large amounts are consumed. It’s important to tuck all candy away so it stays out of paw’s reach, and make sure kids know not to feed candy to pets.

• Keep pets away from the front door, especially if they have anxiety issues or are territorial. Trick-or-treaters will be knocking and ringing the doorbell all night, so putting them in a quieter, more secure place will lower their anxiety. Plus, you’ll be opening and closing the door frequently, so keeping them away limits their ability to attempt an escape.

• Black cats are often targeted on and around Halloween. If you have a black cat that spends time outside, consider bringing your pet inside for the week around Halloween.

Have more questions about keeping your pet safe this Halloween? Call us at 307-462-0138!